Saturday, April 30, 2005

stories or things?

is it better to live a life of experience or things? if experience is your bag then I recommend trying to make those experiences sober ones. Having lived most of my twenties in the pursuit of experience at the express expense of anything useful to show for it, I'm starting to believe that those boring swine who spend their lives accumulating wealth and/or things are the smart ones after all. Where they have houses and heated towel rails, I have a hazy memory of running round a stranger's garden screaming like a loon in the early hours of sunday morning.

But what about "enriching" experiences? I chose to live abroad to expand my horizons (quide liderrally!). A few years on and not only can I speak another language but I enter ex-pat banter fearlessly. My friends back home are rich, powerful and own houses.

I am by no means about to head home. I like it where I am. But I don't think I'm a better person for it. Just different I suppose.